Saturday, July 26, 2008

We are a brave people

We are a brave people. Try as hard as you can, we won’t be budged. Nine blasts in Bangalore, and you think that we will get panicked and our lives will come to a stand-still. No dear, we are strong.

How proud we are of this strength of ours. We keep saying these things, hearing these things. I remember listening to a reporter on TV after the Mumbai blasts that the brave city was still on its toes and what not.

But is it bravery or insensitivity? I agree that to get panic-stricken is not a solution, but is being unconcerned is? TV channels pouring news about blasts and we catch a glimpse of it while rushing for our next class. Someone got a little more engrossed and shouted “Oh shit, got late, will lose an attendance”. An attendance versus nine blasts in your neighborhood!
Are we brave, or are we just too detached from others I am fine, my family, my friends all are fine- once I ensure that I get back to my daily chores. Could I have acted equally “courageously” had a friend of mine been one of the unlucky ones?

Oh yes, I know I have spent too long in thinking and writing this and have to work on a submission. After all I, too, am brave.

2 comments:

oblivion said...

At any given moment, we do what is best in our interest. Remember, there is a thin line that separates belligerence and bravery.

Niks said...

Hi,
Great thought.Is it that we are a nation of in-sensitives? Or just that we have seen so much in last 27 yrs and always felt paralyzed to act at every such sorry incidence that we have learnt to take all such incidences in our daily stride ?
Though I think the second reason is more relevant.