Monday, July 14, 2008

It’s my life… Is it???

I was walking down a road, met a person looked at him and moved on. I was walking on down a road, met a person said hello and asked him the way to the post office. I was walking down a road, met a person talked to him, exchanged numbers and are friends till date. We, the two people involved in each case, are the ones who decide what that meeting would result in. But who decides that we meet in the first place? I could have chosen some different road to walk, some different time to travel. But both of us happened to be in the same place at the same time. Was this a part of some pattern?

In my college there are close friends, casual friends and acquaintances. A and I became friends because we happened to be in the same section, B because we had adjacent rooms, C because we joined the same club. I never got to talk to X because we were in different sections, in different hostel blocks- none of which we chose ourselves. And I thought it was I who was choosing my friends. The fact is that this predecided script was given to me just to act upon.

I am introduced to someone. In two meetings we fall in love and in two months time we get married; and I think I chose my life partner. Who decided our first meeting?

We claim to have control over every thing in our lives. If we go just a few steps back we would realize that we had nothing to do in the decision-making process. The path was laid down well before we started walking on it. How could I have walked on the path if it was not built? We can’t even decide who does and doesn’t become a part of our lives, let alone the more complicated issues. Trying to assume that we do have some freedom to decide, life can at max be considered a multiple choice question- I can maybe choose one out of the four given options, but cannot write an answer of my own.

7 comments:

Pritam Sarkar said...

loved the thght tht nothin is in our hands really although we like to say and believe that.. but can we really go a few step back in life, if we do that i think we wud start depending on it.. dont know if that's any good

Nik said...

It need not be yaa! The choice you make out of the 4 options you have is what defines you . that is what gives you character..so even though the premise may not be yours , the actions are yours ...

Anonymous said...

agree with nik.. u always have a choice.. and what u get is an intersection of what u desire and what u deserve.. remember the only one stopping you is you..

lolzz.

Smriti Khullar said...

Agree with u Nikki, Fonia... bt still feel dat d freedom none-the-less is restricted to choosin one ans frm the 4 given options. my choice wud determine mu course of life, bt the four possible courses wr already decided. all i cud do ws to pick up one.

Anand Gautam said...

hmmm.........debatable......but still in some way delivers a little blow to whatever I have always thought and believed.....
Hence, loved it :)

Anonymous said...

We DO make some of the choices.....
what say??? To be or not to be.

yupp... often its all about making the choice from the available options, but to retain the choice is just what we can do... any time... all the times.

death said...

nicely written